A survival knife is very handy in outdoor situations, either for survival or safety purposes. Each type of survival knives has distinctive specialized characteristics.
A survival knife normally has a smooth blade. It can be used to prepare foods and cut tree limbs. It can also have a hooked blade for slicing ropes and opening cans. The luxurious type has a matte finish to avoid glares.
A survival knife is a tool aid in outdoors, where the world is vast and danger abounds. Use it wisely to protect you from wild animals or strangers meaning harm to your life.
Hikers, hunters, and outdoors sports enthusiasts use their survival knife as utility knife.
A survival knife must have a strong fixed blade to maximize its efficiency.
The typical survival knife has a handle that is normally ergonomic to fingers for a better grip. The tip of the handle has a floating compass a supplementary emergency device. All other additional tools are kept inside the handle.
Several survival specialists recommend buying a durable compact survival kit and hunting knife instead of rather than a multi-purpose one. Other survival specialists say that a survival knife with a well-stocked handle is easier to carry as compared to having a knife and emergency kit separately.
Many retailers offer a huge variety of knives with different features, sizes, and shapes. The range of survival knives start from folding multi-tools, to huge blades with special steel.
A knife tang connects the blade to the handle. The two slabs of material are then connected to either side of the metal. Narrow tang types reduce the blade size as it goes in the handle. The handle will then become attached onto the narrower area of the knife. Narrow tang knives sometimes have a pommel connected to the handle.
Listed below are some types of survival knives:
- Victorinox 18812 Survival Kit – This attractive survival knife is ideal for hikers, hunters and outdoor specialists. It consists of the following:
- pressure pencils
- nylon strings
- two sewing needles
- two safety pins
- magnifying glass
- compass with spirit level
- distress whistle
- and the Swiss champ knife
The average price of this survival knife is 66.95 US dollars.
- 12 ¾ Inch Survival Knife with Sheath – It has a stainless steel blade. The end of the handle is unscrewed to reveal a handy storage compartment of all the supplemental tools attached. The measurement of this survival knife is 12 ¾ inches. The blade is 7 3/8 inch.
- Fallkniven Knives A1 Survival Knife with Zytel Sheath – This full stainless steel survival knife is ideal for cutting wood and ropes. It has other features that aid outdoor cooking, like opening cans and lifting off bottle caps. The blade measures 6 3/8 inches. The plastic handle is perfect for palm grips. It has a black nylon and Zytel belt sheath.
- GI Pilots Survival Knife – This knife is ideal for combat army and military personnel. It is made of stainless steel and plastic handle. It has a sharp blade that can cut wood, limbs and ropes. It is 10 kilos heavy. The average price is 59 US dollars.